This role is responsible for developing the technical, professional skills and customer service capabilities of our front line staff.
The National Technical Training Manager brings expertise in Audio Visual Event Technology industry (lighting, audio, video, webcasting, rigging) and in the training field (strategy, facilitation, planning, design, coordination, measurement).
- Partners with senior leadership to understand training needs for the short, mid and long-term. Define, document, and update the training roadmap.
- Anticipates skill advancement requirements of AV Technicians for new technologies
- Partners with Operations Management and HR to ensure that business needs and learning strategy are aligned across the organization
- Partners with Sales Management and HR to ensure that business needs and learning strategy are aligned across the organization
- Accountable for creating a learning curriculum for new hires, junior and intermediate AV Technicians to continually develop technical expertise to Subject Matter Expert (SME) level.
- Accountable for creating a learning curriculum for new hires, junior and intermediate Sales, to continually develop technical and Sales expertise
- Plans design, delivery and facilitation of training content as an instructor in each market across FMAV.
- Builds up a contingent of technical trainers nationally, facilitates their success thru Train the Trainer programs and side by sides.
- Collects and builds a library of training tools, documentation and support products to support the national training effort.
- Manages/co-ordinates the on-going maintenance of the training modules and support documents
- Co-ordinates and oversees/manages the AV and Labour (Scheduling) requirements for hosting training in-house
- Coordinates product vendors and/or internal SME training with technicians
- Manages and reports on the Training budgets and spend to date
- Establish learning objectives and optimal delivery method (formal in class; web; in-situ; video) for each technical training module
- Designs post training assessments and administer testing to ensure Technicians have met the learning objectives of the training.
- Works with HR to capture and document for the PA process, technical level assessment, and career development
- Provides reinforcement recommendations such as training aids, refresher training and side-by-side mentoring on the job, post formal training
- As opportunities exist, attend events and assess skill of Technicians and perform an on-the-job mentorship role
- Supports the launch of new products at the technical, operational, sales, and client levels with training and informational documentation
- Communication, Presentation & Interpersonal Skills
- Initiative, Drive & Quality Focus
- Self-Directed, works with minimal direct supervision
- Customer/Client Orientation
- Understanding the AV Business
- Continual Learning
- Planning & Driving Accountability and Results
- Bilingual (French/English) an asset
- 10+ years as AV Technician
- High degree of broad technical experience in AV industry
- Direct customer service skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at a time while paying strict attention to detail
- Proven training design & facilitation skills
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite, PowerPoint, Excel and Publisher in particular
- Willing and Able to travel outside home province